Gifted & Talented Accelerated Program (grades 4-8)
At Ashland, Meadowthorpe, and Tates Creek elementaries & Winburn and Tates Creek middle schools
This accelerated program offers a full-time service for academically and intellectually gifted and talented students in grades 4-8. Eligible students are offered at one of these schools based on the student's primary residence.
Students who participated in the middle school accelerated program may continue into the Liberal Arts Academy at Henry Clay High School.
- Ninth Stanine Test Scores (96 to 99%) on a standardized norm referenced general ability test, along with multiple pieces of other types of supporting evidence. The Cognitive Abilities Test is used for program inclusion, and other appropriate individual tests may be used in special consideration circumstances.
- Ninth Stanine Test Scores (96 to 99%) on standardized norm referenced achievement tests in both reading and math, along with multiple pieces of other types of supporting evidence in both reading and math. We use the IOWA Assessments, and other appropriate individual tests may be added in special circumstances.
Students who are already formally identified in reading, math, and/or general intellectual ability will not need to take any additional assessments. MAP testing is used for screening to decide if IOWA Assessments are warranted.
The core curriculum mandated by the state is compacted and differentiated as needed to meet the abilities, needs, and interests of all students. At a glance:
- GT-endorsed educators;
- Accelerated and enriched content and learning environment;
- Differentiated content, process, and products;
- Opportunities for lateral explorations, research, and constructing connections;
- Critical, creative, and problem-solving skills and processes;
- Creation of products that summarize and share the learning with others;
- Opportunities for in-depth learning, independent study, parallel studies, and constructing connections using broad-based issues and problems facing today's society;
- Opportunities for stage production and performance (elementary);
- Collaborative field trip opportunities with other program sites.
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is fcps.net/gtap or fcps.net/accelerated
Families of FCPS students currently in grades 3-7 -- Please complete our online Interest/Application Form between Aug. 15 and Oct. 7. After the deadline, gifted recommendation committees review student data and then contact families about testing opportunities or eligibility.
Private school and home-school families -- You must either apply online or pick up a paper application from the Gifted & Talented Programs Office, 450 Park Place. The application window is Aug. 15 through Oct. 7 for the following school year.
Note: This is not a first-come, first-served system. Applications may be submitted anytime during the interest window, and all receive equal consideration.